Ali Velshi Biography
Ali Velshi is a multi-award-winning Canadian journalist who has been a senior economic and business correspondent for NBC News since October 2016 and co-anchor of Velshi & Ruhle on MSNBC with Stephanie Ruhle. He was previously the Chief Business Correspondent for CNN, as well as the anchor of CNN’s Your Money and a co-host of CNN International’s weekday business show World Business Today.
Ali Velshi MSNBC| Wikipedia
Velshi co-hosts the 1:00 p.m. MSNBC news program Velshi & Ruhle with Stephanie Ruhle, as well as hosting MSNBC Live with Ali Velshi at 3 p.m. Velshi joined MSNBC in October 2016, with additional responsibilities at MSNBC’s parent news division, NBC News, where he works as Business Correspondent.
Ali Velshi Career
Velshi began his career as a General Assignment Reporter for the CFTO station in Toronto. He then went on to serve as a business reporter and host for the channels ‘CablePlus 24’ and ‘CityTV.’ He began working for the Canadian business channel ‘Report on Business Television’ in 1999. (now known as BNN-Business News Network). In the year 2001, he moved to the United States and began working for the New York City-based channel ‘CNNfn.’ This reporter stayed on the channel until it was turned off. He then went on to work as a host and correspondent for the ‘CNN’ network’s morning show ‘Daybreak.’ Velshi became the host of a reality show called ‘The Turnaround’ in 2005, and he later worked for the show The Situation Room.
He began working as a business journalist for the show ‘American Morning’ in 2006. In 2008, the reporter rode the ‘CNN Election Express’ bus from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to Los Angeles, California, where he spoke with other Americans on a variety of monetary issues. At the same time, he became the host of CNN’s ‘Energy Hunt,’ which took him to areas like the Oil Sands of Canada and the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Velshi covered numerous unpleasant events in the same year, including the bombing of the ‘Marriott Hotel’ in Islamabad and the devastating hurricane ‘Gustav,’ making him a familiar face to the general public.
He also discussed the ‘Global financial crisis that occurred in 2008 on the programs’ American Morning’ and Anderson Cooper 360°. Apart from his own broadcasts, he was also seen on ‘The Oprah Winfrey Show’ during this moment. In 2011, the reporter was appointed as a co-host of the show ‘American Morning.’ In 2012, a hurricane named ‘Sandy’ made landfall in the Atlantic, and Velshi provided live coverage of the storm.
READ MORE: Rebecca Jarvis Bio, Age, ABC, CNBC, Wiki, Height, Ethnicity, Family, Wedding, Baby, Salary, Net Worth, Apprentice,
In 2013, he quit CNN and began working for Al Jazeera America, a newly created television channel. He is currently the host of the show ‘Real Money with Ali Velshi.’ He also contributes pieces to publications such as ‘Money Magazine’ and ‘Delta Sky.’
Ali Velshi Age
How old is Ali? Velshi is 52 years old as of 2021. He was born on 29 October 1969 in Nairobi, Kenya. He celebrates his birthday on October 29th every year.
Ali Velshi Education
Ali did his elementary education at Toronto’s ‘Northern Secondary School.’ He then moved on to Queen’s University in Ontario, where he earned his bachelor’s degree in religious studies in 1994.
Ali Velshi Nationality | Ethnicity
What ethnicity is Ali? he belongs to the Mixed (Indian Americans) ethnicity/heritage. He was born in Nairobi, Kenya, and raised in Toronto, Ontario, United States, he holds African-American nationality and citizenship by birth.
Ali Velshi Height
Velshi stands at a height of 5 feet 8 inches.
Ali Velshi Family | Siblings | Parents
Born in Nairobi, Kenya, and raised in Toronto, Ontario, to Murad Velshi, the first Canadian of Indian origin elected to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, and Mila Velshi.
Ali Velshi Wife | Married
Velshi married in his twenties, but the relationship did not survive long. In 2009, he married Lori Wachs, the president of Philadelphia-based Cross Ledge Investments and a New York-born hedge fund manager. He met his second wife as a guest on his television show.
Ali Velshi Salary
How much does he earn? Velshi earns an annual salary ranging between $40,000 – $ 110,500.
Ali Velshi Net Worth
Working for networks like CNN, MSNBC, Al Jazeera America, and NBC News, he has made a fair living. Velshi’s net worth is estimated to be between $1 million and $5 million, based on his work as a journalist.
Ali Velshi CNN
Velshi relocated to New York City in September 2001 to work for the business news channel CNNfn. Before the network’s closure in December 2004, he hosted various programs including Insights, Business Unusual, Street Sweep, Your Money, and co-hosted The Money Gang with Pat Kiernan.
He was reassigned to CNN’s main network as a business anchor and correspondent, initially assigned to CNN’s early morning program, Daybreak. Velshi hosted 13 hour-long episodes of The Turnaround, a reality television show, in 2005, during which he traveled across America, introducing small business owners who were facing challenges or seeking to grow their businesses to high-profile mentors who assisted them in developing a plan for success.
Ali Velshi Al Jazeera
Velshi announced his departure from CNN on April 4, 2013, to join Al Jazeera America as the host of a weekly 30-minute magazine-style prime-time program called Real Money with Ali Velshi. He was the new channel’s first on-air personality to be hired. Velshi’s show will begin as a weekly show and will transition to a daily broadcast by the end of the year, according to the channel. Real Money with Ali Velshi premiered as a daily weekday show on August 20, 2013. The show resumed as Ali Velshi on Target on May 12, 2015. When Al Jazeera America shut down in April 2016, this show came to an end.
Ali Velshi Books
- 2021 How to Speak Money LIB/e: The Language and Knowledge You Need Now Christine Romans
- 2011 How to Speak Money: The Language and Knowledge You Need Now Christine Romans
- 2010 Gimme My Future Back: The Graduate’s Guide to Investing from Your First Day of Work Ali Velshi
- 2009 Gimme My Money Back: Your Guide to Beating the Financial Crisis Ali Velshi
Ali Velshi Awards
- Velshi received the Queen’s University Alumni Achievement Award in 2010, which is the highest honor bestowed upon Queen’s University alumni. Velshi’s in-depth investigation for CNN’s “How the Wheels Came Off” about the near-collapse of the U.S. economy also aired in 2010.
- A National Headliner Award for Business & Consumer Reporting was given to the Auto Industry. Velshi anchored CNN’s global breaking news coverage of an attempted terror assault on a Delta flight into Detroit on Christmas Day 2009, for which CNN received an Emmy nomination in 2010.
- Velshi was nominated for two more News & Documentary Emmy awards in 2015 for his work at Al Jazeera, including coverage of poor wages paid to disabled Americans and a red-light camera controversy in Chicago. Velshi was awarded an honorary “Canada 150” Ambassador in 2017 to help promote activities and events commemorating Canada’s 150th anniversary.
- Velshi was awarded a Poynter Fellow in Journalism at Yale University in 2017, and as a result, he took part in a conversation with students, professors, and community members at Yale University’s Jonathan Edwards College. Velshi also gave a TEDx lecture in 2017 titled “How Fake News Grows in a Post-Fact World.”